Maintenance Q&As

How do you calculate preventive maintenance hours?

Answered April 18 2019

That’s a great question. If you want to calculate the specific amount of hours spent on only preventive maintenance efforts, your CMMS most likely has a solution already baked in to help you do this.

For instance, in UpKeep’s CMMS, you can run reports for any recurring tasks, allowing you to gather data on preventive maintenance tasks like when they were completed and how long they took. If you only want to know PM hours, this is the most efficient way to do so.

Then, you can run a report on reactive maintenance tasks, which will tell you every hour spent on maintenance that wasn’t specifically planned. After you’ve got both of these reports for a specified time period, you can figure out exactly how many hours (out of all your maintenance hours) were spent on performing PM tasks by adding up the total amount of hours, then dividing PM hours by total time spent performing maintenance.

What all of this does is give you an idea of your planned maintenance percentage (PMP), which is a way of measuring how well a facility adheres to its planned tasks (like preventive and predictive maintenance). Based on your PMP, you can get a good idea of how your facility stacks up to world-class preventive maintenance figures.

An example of an excellent PMP is 80%, which means that 80% of a facility or organization’s maintenance tasks are planned, while the other 20% are reactive. To put it another way, the higher an organization’s PMP, the fewer amount of times their assets are going down for emergency maintenance, faults, and breakdowns.

If you don’t have access to CMMS reports, it becomes much more difficult because tracking maintenance hours with a non-computerized system requires tons and tons of man hours and paperwork. A CMMS doesn’t necessarily do the work for you, but it does provide you the tools to understand the extent of an organization’s schedule compliance.

Asset Management Questions & Answers