What are some of the most interesting stats and facts about the trucking industry?
Answered September 25 2019
Most people don’t think much about the trucking industry on a daily basis unless their commute is full of semi-trailer trucks on the freeway. But those semis and the people who drive them are part of a vast, intricate ecosystem that does far more than you might think. Here are some of the most interesting statistics and facts about the trucking industry.
General Points of Interest
- If the American trucking industry was its own nation, it would take the 33rd spot globally in 2017.
- Over five percent of jobs in the USA are related to the trucking industry in some way.
- 70%+ of all goods in America have been on a truck at some point in time.
- The average grocery store will run out of food in three days if it’s not replenished–by trucks.
- A truck needs 40% more time to stop than the average car.
Business and Financial Matters
- Most trucking companies are small businesses.
- Trucking is about a $680 billion industry that employs around 7 million people.
- Sadly, as of February 2019, no overseer in the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has ever been a trucker.
- EPA emission regulations over the last few years have cut the exhaust output of trucks by over 95%.
- Because of the 4 million-plus miles of road that the industry uses, truckers have a vested interest in road maintenance and infrastructure.
- Compared to other industry segments, maintenance and repair costs are much higher.
- Repair and maintenance costs have gone steadily up over the last few years.
Latest Maintenance Articles
- Root Cause Analysis Techniques and FundamentalsHow to Use eBay to Save Money and Time on ProcurementThe Ultimate Guide to Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs)How to Respond to an FDA Warning LetterWhat Is Maintenance Process Mapping?Checking for Fever: A Comprehensive Guide to Implementing a Temperature Screening System
Fleet Management and GPS
Oil & Gas
Asset Management Questions & Answers
Preventive Maintenance Checklist – Common tips for Trucks and Fleets
Common Preventive Maintenance Checklist for trucks and fleets must be customized to fit the individual vehicle and its usage pattern.
What are the different types of marine propulsion and how do you take care of machinery?
Many different types of propulsion options are available for boats including diesel, wind, gas and solar, and each requires its own unique maintenance plan
What are the most common net payment terms for freight and shipping companies?
Although the most common net payment term for freight companies is net 30 days, this is lengthening in some industries due to various factors
What are the different ticketing methods for trains?
The ticketing methods for trains are evolving from in-person to include mobile ticketing, barcode scanning, and other technology-based ticketing options.
How are rideshare companies changing the fleet and automotive industries?
Rideshare companies increase global access to transportation, influence purpose-built vehicles, inspire a new wave of autonomous vehicles, and more.
How can I avoid extra fees on carrier containers?
Four key ways to avoid extra charges or demurrages on carrier containers are negotiations, coordination, alternative plans, and organization of paperwork.
Will the future of semi-trucks be electrically powered?
Semi-trucks will probably move toward at least some electrically powered vehicles, however, a variety of factors will impact how quickly this happens.
What are the most common reasons for airplane failures?
The most common reason for airplane failures is human error- including structural flaws, oversight, flight crew errors, and faulty or misplaced maintenance.
What are 10 KPIs Every Fleet Manager Should Track?
The success of the supply chain process relies on a strong and continuous network of vehicles following safety, efficiency, and compliance KPIs.
What is Fleet Management and What Do Fleet Managers Do?
Fleet management oversees the running and maximizes efficiency of commercial vehicles, whether they be cars, trucks, or vans.
How do I make my truck tires last longer?
Semi, box, and other working truck tires can be made to last longer when they are properly maintained and cared for by their users.
How do I solve IATF compliance challenges with a CMMS?
The new IATF (International Automotive Task Force) compliance challenges can be solved by using a CMMS to track, observe, replace, and repair equipment
How do we improve the perception of the trucking profession in society?
There are several methods that can help overcome the negative perception many people have of the trucking profession today, such as professional training.